POSCO was established on the 1st of April, 1968. It is a fortune 500 company. According to market value, it is the second largest steel manufacturer in the world and the most profitable steel company in Asia. Its headquarter is based in South District, Pohang City, Gyeongsangbuk-do, South Korea. Currently, POSCO has two steel plants in Korea: one in Pohang city and one in Gwangyang city. Furthermore, it also co-operates a company, USS-POSCO, with US steel which is based in Pittsburgh. Their main products include cold and hot rolling, wiring, electrical steel, steel plates, stainless steel, etc. POSCO steel production amount reached 32.78 million tonnes in 2007. They produced over 26 million tonnes of steel products for consumers in over 60 countries around the world.
POSCO uses IBM SPSS Modeler as their base to develop prediction and control systems for product quality control. This will effectively stabilize the quality of steel products. When the response variable varies from the set value, the system will notify the engineer automatically to reset the specific parameter to maintain the standards. At the same time, POSCO uses a decision tree model to confirm critical driving factors within thousands of monitored variables. It creates a clear prediction model and uses recursive models to confirm the control driving factor changes.
The control/prediction system has a noticeable effect on lowering the variations in final product quality. An internal assessment using production data from the past 6 months has shown that the system has improved production by 10-20%. This is promising for system deployment on production lines.
- Foxconn- Introducing Smart Factory Management System
- IoT Manufacturing Machine Case- KNIME Error Detection and Prediction System
- LED Packaging Manufacturing Case- Introducing the iPASP System
- Plastic Mold Industry Case- Introducing the iPASP System
- Semi-conductor IC Testing Case- Introducing the iPASP System
- Precision Technology Industry Case- Introducing the iPASP System
- Certain Manufacturer- MicroStrategy Sales Analysis Management Platform